Our Certificate in HR Fundamentals is an 8 month programme focused on building your knowledge across all the core areas of HR.
Over the course you can attend workshops, watch videos, read articles and complete online learning modules and assignments and get coaching and feedback from our HR team.
The programme also involves assessing your achievement level from the start to the finish.
Who should attend?
You’ll benefit most from the Certificate in HR Fundamentals if you are:
- Studying HR or Business and want to prepare for your first HR role
- Are new to an HR role and want to make sure you know everything you should
- In a role where you have HR responsibilities and want to learn the fundamentals
- In an Office Manager/PA role but with HR responsibilities.
What will you finish with?
The Certificate in HR Fundamentals is different from tertiary study as we cover real life, rather than just covering theory. It’s full of practical suggestions and ideas to use. You’ll work through each module, with real case studies and assessments to test you are applying what we’ve covered. Once you’ve completed your final assessment you will be awarded your certificate.
Elephant Certificates are now recognised globally, in New Zealand, Australia, the Pacific Islands, Singapore, Malaysia, Canada, the US and United Kingdom.
Essential Employment Law
Working in HR you need to understand the key points of the employment legislation in your country.
For this module you can either attend our face to face workshops or a webinar session to hear from employment law specialists on the key factors you’ll need to know.
You’ll then need to get 70% in our online test.
In your first HR role you might only have limited contact with managers, so making sure your communications are as effective as possible is important.
- How to use key messaging
- Understanding the 4 main communication styles – both for you and your managers!
- Different ways to adapt your written and verbal communications to the different styles
Recruitment & Selection
At the start of your HR career you are often responsible for advertising roles, helping shortlist and manage vacancies. This module covers:
- How to run an effective recruitment process and the role you’ll play
- How to write engaging adverts
- Different processes to manage candidates, interviews and other selection steps
- Testing and effective reference checks
In an HR Administration role you may well be responsible for sending out employment offers and liaising with candidates. This module covers:
- Understanding the legal issues around different employment clauses and provisions. You might not be preparing the clauses, but you should know what to look out for.
- The challenges that can occur with employment agreements being signed.
- Effective administration and filing of personal information.
Induction and On-boarding
Managing induction and on-boarding processes is often HR’s responsibility. Getting it right is essential for making sure new employees get up to speed quickly. This module covers:
- Administrative processes around induction
- Different ideas and case studies of how companies run induction for employees and managers
- Orientation days: how they work and how to run them
Writing HR policies
Making your policies more effective may not be exciting, but is important. This module takes you through:
- Making your policies engaging & adapt to different comms styles
- Fishhooks around introducing new policies
- Building your managers engagement and ownership of the policies so they’re not just an HR thing
- Use your policies effectively to address issues and more importantly build the culture that you want!
HR Metrics and Analytics
One area you may be involved in is sending out HR reporting and metrics. This module will give you:
- An understanding of the different levels of metrics and analytics
- What you should be measuring
- How to make your HR reporting effective and useful
This module will help you work out how to establish yourself in your HR career including:
- Identifying your core skills but also areas that might be an issue, and how to mitigate these
- Building credibility as you build your skills
- How to answer managers or employees queries
If you have completed training or have experience in one of the areas covered by the Certificate, you can exchange one module for one of the modules in our other Certificates. Please choose this option when you register and our team will liaise with you about this.
The programme investment is NZ$1,250, AUD$1,150, US$795 or UK£595 + relevant tax.
Just complete the online application to enrol. We will then liaise with you on your timetable. The programme fees must be paid on registration.
The Certificate is scheduled over 8 months however you can defer completion by a further 6 months due to work or other circumstances.
In New Zealand you have the option of attending the face to face Essential Employment Law workshop (in Wellington or Auckland).
Please do let us know if you have any questions. Unfortunately we cannot issue refunds once you have started your study.
About Elephant Group
Get in touch
The best way to get in touch is to email us and the right person from our team will come back to you.
Our newsletter is loved because we pack it with case law, quizzes & tips – but not too much! To subscribe to your edition, just visit your country page.
Read the blog
For musings on HR and people management, check out Angela Atkins popular blog. Click here to have a read.