Employment lawyers are able to see things as black and white – but in HR and people management it doesn’t work like that. We can’t just give an opinion on what the legislation says. We have to think about how it applies to different situations where there isn’t one right answer. Then we have to find something that works for everyone. This often involves weighting up risks and figuring our possible consequences as well as the culture of the company.
That’s why our workshop is different! We cover the legislation but also how to apply it, and all our facilitators are both employment law experts but have also worked in HR.
The workshop covers not just 13 pieces of legislation but also the key points around restructuring and disciplinary procedures. You’ll cover:
- Employment Relations Act – what clauses you need, how to deal with issues around casuals, part timers, fixed terms & contractors as well as Collective Bargaining, trial periods and flexible working.
- Holidays Act – HR tools to deal with sick leave issues as well as provisions for annual, bereavement & public holidays.
- Human Rights & Privacy Acts – scenario’s to look at how the legislation really applies to your recruitment & HR processes.
- Health & Safety Act – the 2016 changes and what you need to do to comply with legislation & provide a safe workplace.
- The smaller Acts – Parental Leave, Minimum Wage, KiwiSaver, Juries Act, Wages Protection, Protected Disclosures, Criminal Record, Domestic Violence Leave & ACC.
- Dismissals and Restructuring – what does the legislation and case law say are the steps you must take & clauses to be aware of.
Nikki has over 20 years of generalist HR experience working in diverse sectors such as health, engineering, utilities, retail and not-for-profit. She always receives fantastic feedback from managers and HR people for making any workshop she runs interesting, entertaining and extremely useful – sharing practical real life examples and answering curly questions. Nikki also runs her own HR consultancy business working with small businesses to help them build culture, work through change and deal with a myriad of HR challenges.
Ilze has a blend of experience working within and consulting to different types of organisations from professional services, public services and small businesses/ startups. She specialises in leadership and culture, organisational design, change management, and strategy. As an accredited coach and practitioner, Ilze has experience diagnosing organisational effectiveness, and implementing culture and behavioural change solutions. She has a Bachelor of Business, majoring in Human Resources Management and is the founder of the people co-lab.
Laura has an HR career that includes roles with Wilson Hellaby, Walter and Wild and Auckland Meat Processors.
She founded People Ninja’s in 2020 to provide innovative and adaptive HR solutions to businesses.
Laura has expertise in HR, Health and Safety and Learning and Development. She prides herself in being pragmatic, creative and transparent in the way she works and has a Bachelor of Business in HR and Employment Relations.
- Thurs 31 March & Fri 1 April 2022
- Tuesday 21 and Wed 22 June 2022
- 9am – 12.30pm (AEST) both mornings.
AUD$895 (early bird 4 weeks before workshop). AUD$995 (normal price)
To register, please fill in your details below. Book 2 people and save 10%.
What people say about attending:
Thank you, I feel better able to talk with my managers and give advice more clearly and back up with good rationale. I really liked how Nikki gave us good examples on how to phrase your advice to your manager without getting them off-side
Learning about justifications re some of the case law – good to know why a decision was made, course was awesome thank you
A fantastic course overall. The fact that I came away with some essential knowledge meant I could come into work and confidently make changes
The Elephant team really know their stuff and are happy to answer every little niggling question I had during the breaks
Elephant’s three principles:
Get in touch
The best way to get in touch is to email us and the right person from our team will come back to you.
Our newsletter is loved because we pack it with case law, quizzes & tips – but not too much!
Read the blog
For musings on HR and people management, check out Angela Atkins popular blog. Click here to have a read.